Sunday, February 1, 2009

Colt Alden Kaiser Has Arrived



Being nervous about delivery is an understatement! I slept like a rock the night before, which was surprising, but my stomach hurt and my heart was racing the morning of the delivery. We got to the hospital at 5:30AM and they immediately put me in a room, hooked me up to monitors and started my IV. We sat in there for a while and my mom and mother-in-law showed up around 6:30AM as my c-section was scheduled for 7:30AM. I was most nervous about my epidural because the one I had with Brooks was NOT a good experience AND I was terrified of being awake during my c-section. I don't remember my c-section with Brooks because it was emergency and they knocked me out for the entire thing.


The anesthesiologist came in around 7AM to start my epidural. He was so amazing, talked to me the entire time, had a great bedside manner and it didn't hurt much at all. I was so impressed and once it was over I was a little calmer before surgery. They took me back to the operating room and starting hooking me up while I laid on the table. I asked for something to relax me (GIVE ME DRUGS!) because I was feeling a bit tense and as the medicine took effect I felt better. It turned out that in the middle of the c-section they ended up putting me under anyway because it took so long for the epidural to numb me and I was still feeling some pain. Unfortunately, I once again did not get to see my son immediately after he was born but this c-section went much more smoothly than the first!

Colt Alden Kaiser was born on Friday, January 23, 2009 at 7:57AM weighing in at 6 lbs 9 oz and measuring 19.5 inches. He is a healthy little boy and looks exactly like Brooks did when he was a newborn (but with a smaller, prettier c-section head).



This was definitely a different experience in the hospital since we didn't have the baby in the NICU. Colt got to spend time in my room during the day and into the nursery at night (except for feedings). I had friends come visit, and I actually remembered seeing them this time around!



Brooks came to visit every day. I missed him SO much while I was gone. I ended up staying for 5 days and seeing he and Colt everyday was the best part of my day.



Finally being home with my family is wonderful. My mom has been a HUGE help and I don't know what I would have done had she not been living so close. She has stayed with us almost every night since I got home. She gets up with Brooks in the mornings, feeds him breakfast and plays with him while I nurse Colt and Alex works or helps me with Colt. She also stays here with Colt sometimes so Alex and I get some alone time with Brooks. Thanks mom!

I am recovering quickly and finally got the OK from the doctor to go ahead and start walking the neighborhood...YAY! I have been dying to get out and do some exercise! No running until at least 8 weeks after surgery - only 6 weeks to go!

2 comments:

Tanni said...

He is precious! Glad to finally see him on your blog! :)

Lisa said...

Congrats! He is precious!